I see people for individual therapy on weeknights and all day Fridays. Throughout my career, I have worked with a variety of individuals. During this time, I realized my passion lies in working with Binge Eating Disorder, with individuals who are unhappy in their bodies and with individuals who are in distress post weight-loss surgery. I work from a Health at Every Size (HAES) perspective. I believe that all bodies are good bodies and there is a way to live a happy and fulfilling life.
My Eating Disorder Recovery Support Group
The group is held weekly on Saturdays and is open to anyone struggling with an eating disorder. The group is a safe space, where all group members are encouraged to challenge to find peace with food and their bodies.
Group members must be in individual counseling and have an assessment with me prior to the start of the group. Please email me for more information.
My Work with other Professionals
As NAAFA says “We Come in All Sizes”. Weight stigma – the negative assumptions made about large-bodied people – has a significant impact on health and well-being. I like to help other professionals create spaces and programming that works for people who live in large bodies. Many times the built environment (chairs, desks, equiptment) is not size-friendly. Sometimes the language used in media increases stigma and shame. Together we can create a space that is welcoming to everyone, regardless or size or shape.
Lisa DuBreuil, LICSW is a fat activist, and clinical social worker. Since 2003 she has been a psychotherapist doing individual and group work in an outpatient hospital-based clinic, treating people with co-occurring substance use disorders and eating disorders and people with new-onset SUDs and compulsions following weight loss surgery. She also has a private practice in Salem Massachusetts where she treats people diagnosed with binge eating disorder and people dealing with various problems following weight loss surgery. As both an activist and a clinician she speaks and writes about how weight bias impacts health and well-being and what we can do to protect ourselves. Ultimately, Lisa helps people live peacefully in their bodies both by improving self-care skills and teaching them how to navigate our challenging body culture.
Lisa has presented to numerous organizations and clinical groups at conferences, grand rounds, and other spaces.
- Addiction in Palliative Care Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care, The Art and Science of Palliative Nursing, May 24, 2012
- Weight Stigma and Weight Loss Surgeries: What Do We Know?, The International Weight Stigma Conference, September 18, 2015
- Weight Stigma in Medical Settings MGH Boston Blum Family Learning Center, Nov 10, 2016
- Weight Stigma in Medical Settings , MGH Depression Clinical & Research Center Seminar, April 28, 2017
- Weight Stigma in Medical Settings MGH Social Work Department Grand Rounds, November 9, 2017
- Weight Stigma in Med & ED Treatment MGH ED Clinical and Research Program, January 30, 2018
- Health At Every Size: I Have Questions Training Intensive for IAEDP Rhode Island, September 14, 2018
- Weight Stigma in Health Care Settings, MGH Boston, October 18, 2018
- Size Diversity and HAES, Health and Physical Education Team at Cambridge Public Schools, March 25, 2019
- Weight Stigma: Helping with the Healing, American Nurses Association Conference, March 29, 2019
- Intro to HAES, MGH BioBank, May 22, 2019
- HAES, Wellness Advisory Council, Cambridge Public Schools, May 2019
- Diet Culture and the Holidays, MGH, Nov 26, 2019
- Weight Stigma in Med Settings, Beh Health Integration Team February 19, 2020
- Weight Bias in Medical Care, Children’s Hospital Waltham, January 25, 2020
To book Lisa for a presentation, please email email@example.com
- HAES Training, EDR Pro, Sept 27, 2019
- HAES Intensive Training, Multi-Service Eating Disorder Association, Oct 5, 2019
- Working with WLS Patients in the HAES Model, Jan 24, 2020
To book Lisa for a Training, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Panel/Keynote Speaking and Discussant
- MGH North Shore Center for Outpatient Care, Schwartz Center Rounds, March 15, 2013
- “The Size of Your Life: Loving and Caring for Your Body When the Culture is Telling You Not To”, MEDA 2014 National Conference, May 2, 2014
- “Treating Binge Eating Disorder in the Outpatient Setting”, IAEDP Metro Boston Chapter Panel Presentation Treating Binge Eating Disorder, June 17, 2016
- STRIPED Eating Disorder Prevention Symposium, Harvard Chan School of Public Health, April 30, 2018
- What is HAES, Fenway Health, Dec 4, 2019
To book Lisa for Panel/Keynote Speaking or as a Discussant, please email email@example.com